Monday, February 20, 2012

Alex is here!

It was becoming more and more obvious that Alex was never going to come on his own. I also started thinking that if he did come early he would ruin everyone's plans, so I guess it was best for him to wait.

Thursday morning was pretty relaxing. I slept in a little bit before getting up and getting ready to go to the hospital. Robbie and I spent time together, just the two of us. We won't have time like that much any more. Matthew and I headed up to the hospital around 9:30. I wanted to make sure we were there with plenty of time to get checked in by 10. It took a while to get checked in because I was told to head straight up to the maternity floor and I was supposed to check in downstairs at the main check in. Apparently it happens all of the time, though. Eventually they started the pre-op procedures, inserting an IV, drawing blood and drinking the worst antacid ever. The doctor came in around 11:15 and said that everyone was ready, so they would be able to start a little early. Luckily we were able to spend a little time with my parents and Jim and Jean before they took me back.

Once in the operating room I was given a spinal (similar to an epidural, but better) and they did the rest of the prep and brought in Matthew. They didn't waste any time getting started and it didn't seem to be too long before we heard Alex crying. He was born with a great set of lungs. Luckily he hasn't been exercising them too much! The operating room was set up differently than Robbie's, so I was able to see them cleaning up Robbie and taking his vitals. Alex was born at 12:04 pm and was 8 lbs, 4 oz and 20 inches long. Matthew brought Alex over to me for a short visit before they went with a nurse to the nursery to get Alex cleaned up. While the doctor was finishing up with me I heard the nurses talk to him about 2 other deliveries that he would be doing that day. He didn't hang out to chit chat because he told one of the nurses to let a mom start pushing.

Unfortunately they didn't have a room ready for me by the time the c-section was over, so Matthew, Alex and I hung out in one of the triage rooms. Other than being small, it was fine. It wasn't too long before they had a room ready for us to move into. It was nice to have everyone all together.

Matthew's mom brought Robbie over Friday morning. Robbie is really cute with Alex, though he doesn't understand that he needs to be gentle around Alex. Alex looks like Robbie when Robbie was born and he definitely has some of Robbie's facial expressions already.

We came home Sunday. I think that Robbie was surprised that we brought Alex with us! Before Matthew, Barbara and Robbie left to pick up lunch Robbie said "baby" very clearly! He has said it one other time, but other than that it's ba-ba like everything else. Robbie is very concerned about Alex and likes to look at him when he can and will go to him if he starts crying. He will also look and point at Alex when Alex is in the bassinet. I think that Robbie is going to be a great big brother!

Me and dad pre-op



Alex



Alex's weight



Getting to see Alex



Matthew and Alex in the nursery



Sweet face!



GiGi and Grandma



Hanging out in the room



Big brother Robbie



I have a lot more pictures I'll have to post later.

3 comments:

Loving Mommyhood said...

Congratulations! Another beautiful boy, just like Robbie. Blessings to you guys.

Anonymous said...

What good pictures. It was like reliving that special day again.

Mapshocked said...

Great pictures! The boys are so cute. Enjoy them...they grow up fast :-)