Thursday, December 15, 2011

30 week appointment

Today I went in for my 30 week appointment. I can't believe we are 75% of the way to Alex's due date! I am trying hard not to think about him coming early like Robbie did, but it is always in the back of my mind. I am more likely to have an early delivery since Robbie came early, but, of course, every baby is different. So I just keep thinking "February 20" and not "January".

The doctor's office is right next to the hospital, so I got there early to pre-register for the delivery. I picked up the paperwork at the hospital 3 weeks ago after my last appointment. I thought all I had to do was drop it back off, but there were other consent forms that I had to fill out. Good thing I got there early!

I forgot to bring my camera to video the heartbeat, but it was pretty much like the last visit. You could hear the heartbeat, but it wasn't very clear. Alex's heart rate is in the 150's, which is good. He did move around a couple of times and made the nurse work to get a good reading.

I was surprised when, after a short wait, the nurse came back in to tell me that the doctor I was supposed to see was called to do a surgery. She said it would only take 20 minutes and I could wait for her or see another doctor. I opted to see another doctor since Matthew was at home with Robbie, so I couldn't spend all morning waiting for the doctor to get out of surgery. (Maybe it did only take her 20 minutes, but I wasn't going to bet on it!) Dr. B measured me at 31 cm, just a little big (I should be 30 cm because it's supposed to be 1 cm per week of pregnancy). She also mentioned that my glucose level was 114 and anything below 135 is good. (I didn't ask at my last appointment and apparently that disappointed a lot of people!) While the doctor isn't concerned, she still had me schedule an ultrasound in 4 weeks to make sure Alex isn't too big since I don't want to have a C-section this time. I'm excited about seeing Alex one more time before the delivery.

I will go back for another check up in 2 weeks and then 2 weeks after that (4 weeks from today) will be the ultrasound and a check up with the doctor. The usual prenatal plan is to go in again 2 weeks after that and then once a week until the delivery. I never made it to my 36 week appointment with Robbie, so we'll see how far I get this time! :)

2 comments:

Kayleigh and Brian said...

Yahoo for another ultrasound!

Sager Squad said...

This is so exciting! We are so happy for the 3 of you!