Wednesday, October 27, 2010

One Week Old!

I can't believe that a week (and a day) have gone by already! I know half of the time we were in the hospital (we were discharged Friday afternoon), and it is so much nicer now that we are home. I admit I was nervous about coming home, but it has been fine. The cats have been great around Robbie and Simba hasn't jumped on me, which I did worry about. Matt's mom came up Thursday and stayed with us until Sunday. My mom came back up Saturday and is here until Sunday. My dad is coming up Friday afternoon for the weekend as well. It's been great having so much help around here. I only have to worry about healing and feeding Robbie. Everything else is taken care of! Saturday people from our Sunday School class will start bringing us dinner and that will last for 2 weeks, so I'm off the hook there as well. Unfortunately mom won't be here any longer to do the dishes! I guess Matt will have to start doing them.

Monday was a big day for us. Matt took me to the doctor in the morning to have my staples removed. I started counting how many she took out and I think I made it to 8 and then she pinched me and I couldn't count any more. Matt thinks there were between 25-30 staples. I should have asked the nurse when she was finished, but I was trying to think about other things. In the afternoon we took Robbie to his first check up with the pediatrician. He weighs 6 lbs 14 oz, so he is definitely on track to gain back his birth weight by his appointment next week. The nurse said he is 19.5 inches. I know babies "shrink" because their cone heads round out, but I don't think he would have shrunk by 2 inches if we go by the initial length of 21.5 inches. On Robbie's bassinet in the hospital it said he was 20.5 inches, so maybe we should go with that number. Monday night was the first time I slept in bed rather than the recliner. It is so much nicer to be in bed, but I was worried about getting up and down because our bed is pretty high off the ground. It hasn't been bad, though.

Matt goes back to work tomorrow. His work has been great about giving him so much time off. They also sent a cute flower arrangement. I know he isn't looking forward to going back, but I'm able to get around much better and have even started doing night time diaper changes so he can rest. Matt is going to try to go to bed early tonight. Neither of us are looking forward to hearing his alarm go off tomorrow morning!

Here are lots of pictures...21 to be exact.

2 comments:

Jana said...

He is adorable! Congrats Matt and Valerie. You guys are going to be wonderful parents. Enjoy this time...it goes quick (I know, I know so cliche). BTW, your cat looks HUGE next to Robbie :)

Loving Mommyhood said...

Val - he is so cute! I can't get over how cute of a newborn he is. I like the picture of him sleeping with his hands over his head - both my kids did that. Enjoy family being there, it goes by fast.