Tuesday, August 12, 2008

179 days to go!

Today was the first official day of school. It went really fast, and it was overall a good day. The 8th graders always crack me up, because they already know me and what to expect. The 7th graders barely crack a smile, even when I am joking. They don't realize that I'm not a teacher to be scared of. I like that about them! The 6th grade students are scared about everything and always have a hard time adjusting to the new schedule, plus dealing with lockers. Kind of makes me glad I don't teach 6th grade. It's crazy to see how much some of them have grown over the summer. One of my male students looks the same, but his voice is much deeper. The first time I heard him talking I had to do a double take! I did keep encouraging them to find a new student and make sure he/she knows where to go. I know friendships can't be forced, but I try to help them along when I can!

We are going to Kan Ki, my favorite Japanese steak house, for dinner because I got some gift certificates at the end of the last school year. I haven't been in a long time, so I'm excited about going tonight.

Since blogs really are better with pictures, below is Simba under Matt's computer bag. I don't know why he got under there, but he did and it's cute! I'm just glad he stayed there while I went to get the camera.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your year got off to a good beginning. You aren't supposed to smile at the students til 2nd senmester!
Kan Ki - MMMMMMMM

nick, robyn and taylor said...

I'm concerned that you're already counting down the days :)