Sunday, July 13, 2008

Beach day!

Matt had the great idea of going to the beach after church today. I love the beach and rarely pass up the opportunity to go. We came home and changed and grabbed all of the essentials for the day: sunscreen, towels, blanket, water, chair and rafts. We stopped at Publix to pick up sandwiches and drinks and were on our way. We have a little extra drive because we prefer to go to the state preserve because it's a lot less crowded. I was so excited when we got there because the waves were awesome and we brought the rafts for wave riding. We got ourselves settled, had lunch and headed out into the surprisingly chilly water. I don't know if it was because of Hurricane/Tropical Storm B-name or what, but the waves were pretty big and rough! We both caught a couple waves for some good rides in. One of mine was totally awesome! Another wave literally bounced me twice and probably would have kept going if I didn't fall off after the second bounce. I was getting really tired from being hit and pushed back trying to catch the next wave. I was ready to go in and sit for a while, but Matt wanted to catch a few more, so I stayed out with him. On our last wave, this happened:



(I think it looks worse in person, but it still hurts like crazy.)

I'm not sure if the wave pushed me off the raft, pulled the raft out from under me, or both, but whatever happened, I went chin first into the bottom of the ocean. Being the glass-half-full kind of gal that I am, my first thought after my chin hit bottom was "this is how people break their necks and die." When did I become such a fatalist?!? Needless to say, that was my last ride of the day. I was more than happy to just get my raft at the shore, but a couple of nice boys grabbed it for me (gee, thanks). I took it from them and punched a hole in it. Just kidding.

Matt and I spent the rest of our time walking and sitting in the water at the shore. On our way home Matt suggested Slurpees (hello, you HAVE to have a Slurpee after beach day). I filled my cup and set it down on the counter to grab a straw and turned to see Slurpee coming out of the top! I grab napkins and drink and wipe. After I turned to throw the napkins away, more Slurpee comes out of the top!! Do I need to mention my brain freeze trying to drain my drink??

Ok, maybe it wasn't my best day, but I still had fun anyway!

3 comments:

nick, robyn and taylor said...

Aww man, sorry about your chin - ouch! So getting slurpees after a trip to the beach must be a Villacampa thing. I'm glad you didn't break your neck, by the way.

Robyn

Kayleigh and Brian said...

Yes, slurpees after the beach was the tradition when we were younger. I still crave a slurpee after being outside and hot!

Kelli said...

Aww!!!!! Poor Val.