Wednesday, August 4, 2010

25 week appointment

Yesterday was my next doctor's appointment. I had to do the glucose test to check for gestational diabetes. They sent me home with the orange drink at my last appointment so I didn't have to drink it in the office and wait an hour until they could draw my blood. Because of my super small veins the first try missed and then the nurse asked another nurse to try my other arm. They were talking about drawing blood from my hand if they couldn't do it from my arm. I've never had anyone draw blood from my hand, so I don't know if that is super painful, but they didn't seem to want to do it. I saw the big end with the needle that pumps the blood into the vial and I was glad that wasn't the end they were putting into my arm! The second nurse asked for a new needle (I don't know why they couldn't reuse the first one) and I said "get the small one!!" I'll get my results in a couple of days.

I did get to hear the heartbeat again. Of course, as soon as I got to the office I realized that I forgot my camera to tape the heartbeat, but it was still 150 bpm, so I thought about posting the video from my last appointment since it was the same. Lisa said that the nurse was probably glad I didn't bring my camera, but I'm not trying to video the nurse, I just like hearing the heartbeat. The nurse found the heartbeat right away and then he moved away, so she had to find it again to get a good read. I guess all of the sugar in the orange drink made him a little active!

Yesterday afternoon I registered us for some prenatal classes. We signed up to tour the hospital, take a prepared childbirth class and a CPR class. All of the classes are in September, so it's going to be a busy month for us! November is still a long way away, but with all of these plans it seems much closer!

2 comments:

nick, robyn and taylor said...

I think it's funny that they call it a "prepared" childbirth class...I mean, are you ever really prepared for childbirth? ;)

November will be here before you know it! Does Baby Boy W have a name yet?

Loving Mommyhood said...

You do realize you are almost in double digit days until the baby comes? November comes fast and if you are like me, Jack was a week early and Kate 2 weeks early! Those childbirth classes are fun. Babies are so exciting!