Thursday, September 18, 2008

Yard work

We have had an awful time with bugs in the front yard this summer that we were finally able to get rid of. Lately we have had slugs in the flowers. I was not happy because it was not easy to get rid of the bugs and the flowers finally had blooms again! I have tried 2 things that have seemed to work: filling cups with 1 teaspoon of yeast, 1 tablespoon of water, and then filling up the rest with water. Slugs are attracted to the yeast and crawl in and drown. I also spread coffee grounds (courtesy of Starbucks) around the flowers because I read it tears up slug's bellies. I know it sounds mean, but is it any worse the pouring salt on the slugs?? (I did that to a couple of them, but you have to be careful because plants don't like the salt.) I have learned a lot and am enjoying the gardening.

Due to all of the bugs, the impatiens that we planted last year were wiped out. That really upset me because they were beautiful! I was surprised at how big they got. I spent the summer trying to decide what we were going to do: plant new flowers, buy more impatiens, let the grass grow. Well at some point, the old impatiens were pollinated and dispersed seeds that grew, but behind the bushes. Last weekend I cleaned out the flowerbed, put up a border, and then transplanted some of the flowers that were growing behind the bushes. As you can see in the pictures below, there are still other impatiens that I didn't move because I wasn't so sure if it would work and I didn't want to kill all of them. I think the flowers are going be ok, though. The grass that I dug up I saved and hopefully we'll be able to plant it in the front yard where other bugs are eating our grass. I also moved some border bricks that we had bought for the garden in the backyard that never took off and put them up front by the other flowerbed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really looks nice. I like the border - it sets off the flowers. Good job! Bad bugs!

nick, robyn and taylor said...

Looks good! I love impatiens. I'm sure they'll do fine in their new location.

Kelli said...

Get a gun and shoot the bugs!!! I would. :)