Friday, March 13, 2015

My little gardeners

Matthew and I have been saying that we really need to do something with our flower bed this year.  A couple of weeks ago Robbie said that he wanted to plant flowers and my great idea was born!  Saturday we took the boys to Lowes and let them each pick out 3 packets of seeds and we bought a little planter.  Sunday evening Matthew and the boys filled the planters and added seeds.  I figured it would be a couple of weeks before we saw anything sprout, but we started to see some green Wednesday.  A lot more have sprouted in the 2 days since then.  The boys are super excited about their flowers and I'm super excited about our cheap flower garden! :)  The only downside is the boys will be losing their dirt.  But I'm ok with that!!  (And they still have their sandbox.)

Filling the pots



"Let me out!!"


Robbie picking seeds.


He went with Foxglove as his first choice.


Alex's turn to pick.


He went with Cypress Vine (aka the star flowers).




We did let Catie come outside, but she wanted to dig up everything.


Our little seedlings!  The only ones I can identify for sure right now are the sunflowers and that's only because some still had the shell on.


Our flower garden will include sunflowers, foxgloves, gaillardia, hollyhock, zinnia and cypress vine.  I have no idea which ones will thrive as we just let the kids pick whatever they wanted.


No comments: