Monday, March 31, 2014

Catie's big day!

Catie's big day was a long time coming!  I expected all of my children to be born early after Robbie came 4 weeks early.  It was a surprise when Alex waited until his c-section (forced eviction...ha!) and there were several times I thought Catie would come early (I was thinking during the 38th week).  When Catie's c-section was scheduled at 39 weeks, 6 days so I the same doctor could deliver her who delivered the boys I just figured she'd come early and be delivered by a different doctor.

Last Monday Robbie woke up yelling "Help Mommy!", so I ran into his room to check on him.  I think that put me into early labor.  I had Matt take me to the doctor just in case, though by the time my appointment came around I was pretty sure it was over but I figured I'd get checked anyway.  False alarm.  That night I started having contractions, though when I would time them they would stop for a while.  I didn't get much sleep that night.  I had fewer contractions during the day, though, and I figured I could hold out until Wednesday so I could be delivered by "my" doctor.

Matt's mom drove up Monday earlier than she had planned since we weren't sure if Catie was coming.  My parents, my grandpa, and Jim and Jean drove up Tuesday.  My parents and Abuelo went to see my cousin and her 6 month old son and Jim and Jean came to our house.  We all went to Panera for dinner.  It was the first time Robbie and Alex met my Abuelo, their Bisabuelo.  They were just so excited to see everyone.  Plus Mom got them a cookie, so that didn't help them sit still!


One last pregnancy picture

After dinner everyone came back to the house for a while.  We figured the kids weren't going to calm down any time soon, so we let them stay up a little later than usual.  It wasn't a bad idea!

My family and Abuelo.


I didn't sleep great Tuesday night because I started having contractions again.  By the time we left for the hospital they were coming every 8-10 minutes, though I think they were closing in on 7 minutes but I stopped timing them.  We had to check in at 5:30...way too early if you ask me!  It was an easy check in since I was the only woman in labor.  It ended up being a lot of hurry up and wait.  My parents came by around 6:45 and sat with us until it was time for me to go back to the operating room.

I think I was calling my mom.


Matthew's ready


I'm ready, too!


A little after 7 it was time to go.  I don't really know why, but they don't let Matthew in the OR right away, so they got me prepped and ready.  The baby nurse (she took care of Catie after she was born) asked me "Are you ready to meet your little girl?" to which I responded "It's a girl?"  Ok, that wasn't nice to do to the nurse, but I got a kick out of it.  I did let her know that I was just kidding, but there were definitely a few moments of silence while everyone thought that she had just ruined the surprise for us.  As Karma would have it, though, the spinal made me sick and the nurse anesthetist had to hold a baggie for me to throw up.  (I don't know why he was being punished!)  Shortly after, they let Matthew come in and the doctors started the c-section.  Matt thought it took a little longer this time, but as soon as Catie was out she started crying.  It was nice to not have to wait to hear that beautiful sound!  Catie was born at 8:10 am weighing 8 lbs, 7 oz and 20 1/2 inches long...just a little bundle of perfection!






After they let me see Catie, Matthew went with the nurse and Catie to the nursery to finish her check up.  The grandparents were ready and waiting to see her, too!




GiGi looking through the kiddie window.


So many women had given birth earlier in the week that there wasn't a room available for us, so we hung out in triage for a while.  Before the c-section my doctor asked if I had any questions.  I asked him when I could eat because I was really wanting a cinnamon crunch bagel from Panera.  He said I had to wait until I could handle ice chips and water.  I didn't think that was going to be a problem, though, after throwing up in the OR, I should have known better.  I never got sick again, but I did get super nauseous twice and thought I'd never be able to eat solid foods again.  (I was able to have crackers that night.)

Barbara brought the boys to the hospital that afternoon.  Robbie was so excited to meet Catie.  Alex didn't seem to care too much.

Bisabuelo and his youngest great-grandchild.


The 3 Grandfathers


At least we got Alex to smile!


The boys playing with my leg compressor.


Robbie loved holding Catie!


The boys and Catie.


It was a wonderful day and we love our little Catie!

No comments: