Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

I can't believe we are already into the double digit numbers in the new year. Sure, it's only been 10 days, but the first 9 have gone by quickly!

Here are my New Year's resolutions:

1. Memorize scripture. I haven't really done it since I was in school, when we had to do it every week. One of our Sunday school teachers (there are about 3 that share the responsibility) suggested learning Romans 12, so that's where I am starting. I remember verses 1 and 2 from school and I have 3 down pretty pat now. I wish the students took hiding God's word in their heart more seriously, not just looking at it as something that you have to do every week. Of course, that's obviously how I viewed it or else I would remember all of those verses I learned growing up.

2. Speaking of my students, that leads me to #2: help my students learn how to spell!! I would often let it slide because I always said "I'm not an English teacher," but now that I am older and wiser, I see how much they need to get it. I have heard the excuse "I don't need to know it, I'll type everything on the computer and use spell check when I grow up." Of course, as adults, we know that isn't always true. What really drives me crazy is when the word is written in front of them and they still misspell it! Case in point, I had my 7th graders write out Genesis 1:1 - 2:3, the account of creation. A vast majority of them spelled "separated" as "seperated". They were so surprised when I pointed it out to them.

Here are other common ones:
Wrong = Right
definate = definite
dose = does
thier = their
4 = for (just write it out you lazies!!)
there = they're
coarse = course
pitcher = picture
Wendesday = Wednesday
loose = lose

I know the English language is hard and we tell them to sound it out, but that doesn't always work. Sometimes you just need to learn how the word is spelled!

3. Keep the house clean. We have tried keeping a cleaning schedule (like what Lisa and Kelli do), but that doesn't work for us. We are finding if we just clean up a little every day we can spend a little extra time on the weekend vacuuming and dusting. The dishes and leaving mail around seem to be the biggest messes, so that's really where we need to focus.

4. Exercise. A lot of people know that I have been working with a trainer for 6 months. I have another 6 months with him (1 year contract) and hopefully these next 6 will produce even better results than the first. I have a 4 day cruise coming up with girl friends from high school and I want to look as good as they do! I am so excited about going and spending time with the ladies again. Thanks Polly for getting it all together for us!!

Feel free to post with your resolutions and we can help keep each other accountable!

3 comments:

Kayleigh and Brian said...

The worst thing about the spelling is when they have spell check and it's obvious that they don't use it! The one that drove me the craziest was "your" instead of "you're".

P.S. - I haven't been following my cleaning schedule either.

Anonymous said...

it's or its

I am the spelling nazi.

you're mom (just kidding)

Anonymous said...

If you clean one room/day,the clutter doesn't have a chance to build up. I started doing that years ago. Now, I'm always ready for company!! Wait - family isn't company. But I'm ready for ya.
not the cleaning nazi :)
mom
PS I still remember verses I memorized when I was young. Only they're the KJ version. It's harder now to memorize them. It's harder now to remember a lot of things.