Sunday, March 13, 2011

Gate River Run

Matt and I decided in December to run the Gate River Run 5K. When we told Lisa and Erik they decided to join us. Lisa ran the 5K with us and Erik ran the 15K.

Lisa and Erik came over Friday and I met them for lunch. Our original intention was to eat at Firehouse, but apparently a lot of other people had that idea and there was no where for us to sit, so we just got our food to go! Before we could play, though, Kayleigh had to hold Robbie. She is so cute with him! Brian is getting so cute, too. It's so nice that he's able to walk around. He was definitely fascinated with the cats and would squeal whenever he would see one.



After nap time Kayleigh helped Matt and me cook dinner. She measured out the ingredients for the breading for the chicken and helped coat it. I had more planned for her to help with, but she was done helping. I thought about the cute pictures I was going to take of Chef Kayleigh, but I forgot. :( My parents were here for dinner as well. They came up to watch the kids while we were running.

Saturday was an early morning for us. My mom stayed at the house with Robbie and Brian and the rest of us headed downtown for the race. Originally dad and Kayleigh were going to stay, but Kayleigh said that she really wanted to see her mom and dad finish their races. We were told we should be downtown by 7:30 so we would have time to find a parking spot. We were surprised at how quickly we did park. I guess others wanted to sleep in later! We had time to walk around for a little while before lining up. There was a chocolate milk booth where we picked up some cute pink reusable bags and Kayleigh made a sign to cheer on Lisa and Erik. Dad and I went to the GEICO booth and got hats. I'm so glad I got one because it was a sunny day and I didn't think to bring one. There were some inflatable bounce houses and slides and Kayleigh got to go on one before the races and then dad took her back to play some more before heading to the finish line to watch us finish.

Kayleigh and Erik going down the slide:


The 15K and 5K started at the same time, but in different places. Lisa took off as soon as she crossed the starting line and Matt stuck with me, which I loved and appreciated. Matt and I saw Lisa on the part of the course with people going in different directions. Then when we got to the end, Lisa and Kayleigh ran and finished with us. (The 5K didn't have timing chips, so it didn't matter that Lisa crossed the finish line twice.) Lisa ran the 5K between 36 and 38 minutes (she forgot her watch to time herself). Matt and I did it in 54 minutes. I was just hoping to finish in under an hour!

After our race:






We then headed to the 15K finish line to see Erik finish. It was very crowded so Lisa was the only one that actually saw him cross the finish line. We stayed in a less crowded area. Erik beat his goal and finished in 1 hour 11 minutes. Wow! We didn't stay long after we finished our races. I'm glad we got there early to walk around because it was much more crowded after we finished (and we wouldn't have gotten our cute Got Milk? bags!).

We had lunch back at the house then Lisa, Erik and my dad drove down to St. Augustine to look at minivans. Unfortunately they didn't find one that they liked. Kayleigh and Brian colored using a huge art set that we bought at Costco. They did take naps, though Kayleigh said that she wasn't going to sleep. She was wrong! :)

We went to dinner at our favorite fish camp and Lisa and Erik left from there. Mom and dad came back to the house, though we didn't do much. I think we were all pretty tired from the busy day. We forgot about the time change until almost 8 this morning, which meant that it was really almost 9. My parents made plans to visit one of their friends and take her out to lunch, so our morning was cut short, but we had a nice time with them.

Side note: Erik got a medal for finishing the 15K. Here's what I got:



It's a lovely blood blister. To answer your questions:
1. Yes, it hurts.
2. No, I'm not going to pop it.
3. Yes, I know I need a pedicure!! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OUCH - poor foot!! You all did great on the walk/run. I would have walked/dropped over!
And we'll come babysit anytime if you'll always make us such a delicious dinner.